The vision of the Okanagan Similkameen Healthy Living Coalition is to make the Okanagan Similkameen the healthiest region in British Columbia by focusing on chronic disease prevention. We take as our starting point, the Healthy Families BC – Healthy Communities Initiative 5 Pillars framework which includes healthy eating, physical activity, tobacco reduction, healthy built environments and priority populations (see www.planh.ca for a more detailed description). We also support other healthy living aspects such as obesity intervention, drug and alcohol abuse, and mental health. The Coalition is comprised of Coalition Partner Organizations, which includes regional authorities and community partners, working together toward healthier communities.
Let us help you to prevent chronic disease and make the healthy choice the easy choice and together we will make the Okanagan Similkameen the healthiest region in BC!
What is a Constellation?
Constellations are groups that come together to focus on a joint outcome. Their focus is action-oriented and may include education, service delivery, research or other activities aimed at changing social norms for health. Constellations may expand, merge, shrink or dissolve based on their learnings, new opportunities and changing social context, thereby ensuring that the focus remains relevant and effective in the pursuit of social change. Our main focus is on providing operational support and know-how to Constellations as they strive to create a culture of health living in our communities.
The goal of the Coalition is to facilitate success for each Constellation. Success will come from strong partnerships that share energies and strengths to collaborate toward the common goal of enabling individuals in our communities to lead healthier lifestyles.
A Constellation supported by the Coalition will:
- Benefit a community within the geographic area of the RDOS
- Focus on an opportunity within the 5 pillars approach or provide other healthy living aspects
- Connect organizations and individuals in communities in ways that foster social change toward a culture of healthy living.
The Coalition can assist local projects through a variety of channels and may (as resources permit) provide the following support to project leaders:
- Finance and Fundraising
- Support for grant writing
- Support for budgeting
- Engagement of sponsors
- Fundraising events
- Use of branding (OSHLC)
- Connect with keynoters/celebrities
- Seed grants
- Constellation Innovation, Formation and Support
- Best practice research, knowledge exchange, knowledge translation
- Measurement and evaluation
- Contact lists
- Assist with capacity building
- Marketing and Communications
- Access to expertise/training
- Cross promotion
- Access best practices
- Education and awareness
- Access to webinars
- Report writing and report sharing
- Research and Evaluation
- Access to research resources (UBC and OC)
- Database and IT support
- Access to current health data
- Ethical Issues
In return for this support provided by the Coalition, each Constellation agrees to:
- Participate in training opportunities organized by the Coalition
- Participate in Coalition organized opportunities to create synergistic relationships with other initiatives within the RDOS geographic area and more broadly the Okanagan-Similkameen-Columbia-Shuswap region
- Provide access to initiative data throughout the life of the initiative for the purpose of measurement and knowledge exchange
- Permit the Coalition to use the name of the constellation in marketing and information documents produced by the Coalition, and more broadly, to collaborate in publicity efforts intended to amplify the positive effects of particular initiatives and the Coalition
- Provide the Coalition with financial reports that meet CRA requirements for qualified donees (only applicable to Constellations that receive Coalition funding)